Sunday, June 3, 2012

Home Decorating: Pinterest or Professionals?





Pinterest is the latest wave of social media that has taken off like a rocket.  Everyone I know has an account with a collection of Pinterest boards.  Images of well decorated rooms fill one of my boards.  I have a board dedicated to my obsession with chocolate and a board titled "My Style" that is filled with interior design ideas that I've incorporated into a few of my home projects.


With legions of do-it-yourselfers finding inspiration all on their own, the question is will 
Pinterest replace the professionals?  Will those inspiration boards diminish the need to hire a professional?   I imagine the thought has crossed the minds of many decorators.


Though Pinterest can seem like a vast reserve of free information for any level of interior design, I don't believe there will be a rush of DIY's orchestrating an entire interior design project.  As a matter of fact, I believe Pinterest has given decorators a new tool to work with.  
It's made communication between the client and the professional clearer.  With the wide  reserve of pictures on Pinterest clients can pull up their board and say, "This is what I want my room to look like."  


For right now I don't foresee anyone losing business due to Pinterest.   My suspicion is that Pinterest has encouraged and excited DIY's to reach out to the professionals.


Happy Decorating
The Girls Behind the Pink Door
Teri and Terrell





1 comment:

  1. I have wondered about this myself, working in the silk plant decor world. However, I really think most of the professionally-staged rooms you see on Pinterest are difficult for the lay person to achieve, so there will always be a need for professional designers.Plus, although its fun to create Pinterest boards and dream about decorating your home to the same standard, I don't think most people ever get around to it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...